In year 2016, we have introduced a number of enhancements to our campus Wi-Fi infrastructure:
- Deploy the next generation of Wi-Fi controllers that is optimized for 802.11ac performance with high speed throughput.
- Upgrade the indoor Wi-Fi network to support 802.11ac standard that can offer more than 3-fold speed improvement over the previous generation (820.11n). Currently, the following areas are 802.11ac capable:
- All classrooms and lecture theaters
- Library (LG1, G/F & 1/F)
- Computer barns
- Atrium and concourse
- Most catering outlets
- Improve the outdoor Wi-Fi coverage with additional wireless access points (APs).
- Optimize the Wi-Fi system to shorten the connection time
- Merge sMobileNet into eduroam Wi-Fi service to facilitate simple Wi-Fi access in all eduroam institutions (including many international universities, institutes and all local UGC-funded tertiary institutions).